Day 9
So after just talking about how I don't usually cave to pressure to read a popular book if I am not interested, I did with this one. The Book Of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.
I was not interested in a torturous real-life story. I prefer to escape into a non-reality when I read. All the recommendations did not sway me until someone particular said, "yeah, you gotta read this". So I caved. It took me two days to read it and only because I had to sleep and work at some point. I did not want to put it down. The writing was amazing, the view-point all consuming and believable. The story.... torturous but...written in such a way it was poetic somehow.
I read a library copy and then had to buy my own copy. But with this book, I did not just order it online or purchase it. I waited for over a year until I found a used copy that someone else had also read and experienced. For whatever reason my geeky brain had in mind, I wanted to have another readers tears and angst within the book. To know that someone else had read this copy that I now owned. It sits on my Shelf of Honour.
No comments:
Post a Comment