Not related at all to my 30 day book challenge, I must comment on my recent trip to my favourite used bookshop. I grew up in Steveston, BC. It is no longer the quaint little fishing village it once was and instead is a tourist trap where they film the TV show Once Upon A Time. But the one thing that has not changed, even a little bit, is the used bookshop Steveston Bookstore. I remember going in as a small child with my Mom pretty much every week. It was then owned my a lady who I remember was grumpy to "us kids" when I went in as a teenager with my friends. I never cared as I was too shy and quiet to ever do anything wrong and wanted to buy and peruse the dusty old books more than anything. The store was bought out by a lovely couple who rearranged it to suit them and it has not changed since. I love this. I love that I can go in and count on everything being where it should be and the owners being so nice and remembering me even though I don't live there anymore. The store is stuffed full of wonderful old books and it is just as a proper bookshop should be.
My kids now peruse the kids section and I always hit the horror section first. I can count on Stephen King being on the shelves and more than likely I will find a Stephen King British edition (it's all about the cover). I have made myself stop collecting them but the ones I have still sit proudly on my Books of Honour Shelf. LOL
It is worth the drive and remains my fave.
After saying that, my second fave bookstore, previously held by the used bookshop in Hope, BC, has been bumped to third and replaced by Mom's Book Bin in Campbell River, BC. It is a good size, has a great variety and as a bookstore should, it is stacked properly, shelves crowded and in the midst of being organized and added to. I loved it. Both times I was there (cash only peeps) I met different ladies, both who informed me they were not the owner so I still don't know who the owner is. But nonetheless, they have a wonderful bookstore and I will make sure to return next time I am on the Island. I found a Stephen King I did not have and 3 in a series that I have found to be hard to find as well as 2 young adults that look to be cool. Check it out. Well worth the stop for both.
Steveston Bookstore, Steveston, BC
Mom's Book Bin, Campbell River, BC
and the name eludes me at the moment but the used bookstore in Hope, BC. It's around the corner from the Pharmasave
No comments:
Post a Comment