so I have been reading this book, The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs for awhile now. It is not that I am not liking it, it is just kind of like a Stephen King book in the way that I do not want to miss anything and need to take pause at times to soak up all the words. I suppose possibly comparing it to the Bible, as it is a religious book would make more sense, but it doesn't really read that way either. I am learning things about the Bible from it so that is cool, but what I really like is the research that AJ has done while in this project of his. I am almost finished and he himself has yet to find God but he is certainly more educated and experienced and that in my opinion is always a good thing. I love the people he talks to in order to get differing opinions on subjects and issues. They are from all walks of life and he takes them all equally seriously. I appreciate that part. I struggled in my early life to find Jesus and never was able to get there. I tried so hard to learn what I was supposed to do in order to be a good Christian. I stopped eating pork as it said in Leviticus that it was not edible and I tried to be a good person and love people and yet I would go to church and all around me would be sinners and adulterers and they all thought they were Christians and were saved. After years of pain and agonizing I finally decided if they were Christians then I didnt want it. I found my own spirituality in Native healings and totems and it saved me many times. It also literally led me to Jesus. Took me 36 years to get there but I got there and have never been so sure of anything in my life. It is a nice feeling to say the least.
Needless to say, as a current Christian in the true sense of the term, I am reading this book in a different and much easier light than I would have 20 odd years ago. Or even last year for that matter.
If you are open to ideas and knowledge and happy to learn then I recommend this book. If you are stuggling anyway, well, I still recommend it. But only because I am always open to a book and think you should be too.
No comments:
Post a Comment