Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On The Farm

So I have been waiting for the release of the Pickton murders information as I knew there would be a book coming. The book arrived yesterday and I will finish my ILL and read it next. It is a long book that grips you with the first few sentences.  Maybe I should explain for those that are not aware.
We had a serial killer here in BC that preyed on women on the streets of East Vancouver. He took them back to his pig farm, partied with the them and then killed them. I wont go into the gory details in case you are not interested, but it went on for years and dozens of women were killed.

I read these books as I always wonder what goes on in peoples heads. I read the Green River Killer books on Gary Ridgeway, Ted Bundy books and Clifford Olson who was a serial killer around when and where I grew up as a kid.  He preyed on children and I remember my Mom asking me if I had ever been approached and being worried. We had classes at school at the time from the police telling us not to talk to strangers or get in their car etc. It was a pretty big issue then for us kids. Maybe that is why I am interested, I dont know. I still cant go through Harrison Hot Springs without thinking of his victims as there are some buried there.

Anyway, their minds dont work like ours and usually there are indications early on and yet they can still function as "normal" people in everyday life and not bring attention to themselves. In fact Gary Ridgeway was married and had a kid and Ted Bundy was considered a very polite nice man who even did volunteer work.
They were anything but nice and their minds worked in disgusting, polluted ways.

The Pig Farm took many of our police officers off regular duty to sift through the dirt and remains of the victims on the farm. It took years and Robert Pickton was only charged with maybe half the murders he committed. The details were never completely released until recently. Hence the book.
So my short blog post  became lengthier than intended but anywho, I will be reading On The Farm next.

No comments:

Post a Comment